Monday, December 01, 2008

Craig B. Forster


A colleague in Salt Lake City passed along the news this morning that Craig Forster died in a fall while hiking in Zion National Park this past Friday. Craig was a hydrogeologist who split teaching and research duties between the University of Utah and Utah State for many years. Most recently, he headed the Office of Sustainability at UU.

Craig and I worked on the Ferron Sandstone fluvial architecture and related projects when I was at the Utah Geological Survey. The picture to the right is uncharacteristic in that he's not smiling broadly. His thick red hair, wry humor, and constant energy were trademarks as well as his passion for ethnic folk music.

We'll miss him.

update (12-1, 4:45 pm) Jonathan Caine forwarded a better photo that is more typical of Craig , that I'm adding here.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lee.

    Thanks for getting the news out. This is really, really sad news.

    jonathan caine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:49 PM

    Craig and I were colleagues at ESRI/EGI, and then worked together in the Southwest Regional CO2 Partnership. What a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:21 AM

    Our dear friend, Craig Forster, was also a beloved member of the community of Hungarian musicians and dancers. You may find pictures and fond reminiscences on a Facebook memorial that invites you to add your own comments and images.

    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=39097691902

    Craig and his wife, Bonnie Baty, and their fellow musicians in the Jómóka Táncház Band, Brian Salisbury and Tom Goodwin, have dedicated nearly two decades to the study and performance of dance-house music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found out about this tragedy while casually reviewing my dissertation acknowledgement page and ran across Graig's name as one those who help me with my work. I met Craig in Waterloo Canada, while visiting to learn of his ingenious design for packer systems that I needed for my research in Colorado. Craig not only helped me with sharing the information and technical data, he was an excellent host during the two weeks that I was in Waterloo. He was knowledgeable man as well as a kind colleague and teacher. I owe a great deal of my success to him. I am extremely sad that I did not take the initiative to stay in touch with him all these years.

    ReplyDelete