Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fighting the spammers

At least one spammer has discovered this blog.  Over the last 5 years, there has been a low level of spam comments received that I delete before being posted. But now, some troll for an online payday lender is bombarding me with hundreds of purported comments that are just links to their sales pitch.  Fortunately, the blogspot spam filter has caught all of them (I think), so I just have to delete the stacks of notifications in my inbox.

To help ensure the site is not hijacked by these jerks, I added a word verification step before any comments can be submitted.  I'm sorry for the extra step, but apparently readers of this blog are an attractive audience.

5 comments:

  1. You are not the only one. This was just the subject of a post of a blog I follow who has had the same recent issues. My own blog "Earth's Internet" which is about underground mycorrhizal relationships with all manner of rootsystems and associated geological phenomena receives once in a while someone not necessarliy interested in actual discussion of ideas, but mere one liner compliments followed by a link to tree timming service or some site in Asia offering me natural phetermine and other natural herbs for my health betterment. I'm not going to post this on my blog, but I'm intrigued now by this uptick of spammers.

    Kevin


    -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:27 PM

    Well done lee, life is to short to fool with spam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:56 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:16 AM

    SPAM is certainly a huge waste of time to deal with; it's too bad you have to now deal with it instead of focusing your valuable time to keep us up to date on things geologic. We appreciate the information in your blog.

    ReplyDelete